Friday, March 25, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day was so much fun!  I love holidays for the excuse to just celebrate.  Since Spencer's family is quite Irish I decided we should start some fun traditions for this holiday.  I searched the internet for a meal that would be Irish and yummy I found some great gems.  In the morning we would normally have had green eggs and ham, but I was kinda focused on the big dinner I was making so I bagged that.  With the help of my brother-in-law, Colby, the kids were left bead necklaces from a leprechaun.  Lizzie was so excited about the leprechaun.  We ate plenty of avocado on our sandwiches.  This is seriously Lizzie's new obsession.  I've even seen her pick apart her sandwich, eating around everything just to get to the avocado.  Since it's green I decided it'd be perfect on a St. Patrick's Day turkey sandwich.  Ok so we love avocado on all sandwiches, but that's how I tied it in. :)  The dinner was great!  I loved trying something different.  We had corned beef with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and onions as the main course.  I know the Irish don't really eat a lot of corned beef, but they are the ones who figured out this process of curing meats so I think it still applies.  The glaze was soooo yummy!  I loved it on all the veggies too.  Several people were skeptical of the corned beef, having not liked it in the past, but this recipe won them all over.  For a truly Irish dish I did traditional Irish soda bread.  From what I researched they basically eat this every day.  I can see why now.  It tasted great, took five minutes to make, and used like four ingredients.  Awesome!  I made a rainbow jello, thanks to a blog I found from Chantel.  I was surprised.  It took time, but was really easy.  This was more connected to rainbows and leprechauns.  Dessert was a yummy shortbread, caramel, chocolate bar that is similar to a dessert they have.  It was so rich my mom had a couple bites and was done.  It was so ooey gooey it actually seemed to coat your throat.  The dinner was a big hit and although I may try different recipes, I'm going to make it a tradition to have an Irish themed meal on St. Patrick's Day.

Here's the link to my recipe blog.  Basically I'm using it as my own cookbook where I store my favorite recipes.
http://debrahcooks.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. That dinner sounds great!!! I feel totally lame because this yeat the holiday kind of snuck up on me and we really didn't do anything. Thanks for the link to the recipes! Love it!

    ReplyDelete